For this project, TPRC is looking for an ambitious PhD candidate who can combine numerical skills with sound experimental work. The candidate will perform fundamental research during a period of four years to aid to the industrialization of the induction welding process for thermoplastic composites. The following topics should be addressed:
- Experimental evaluation of the current welding process for different unidirectional fiber reinforced thermoplastic polymers;
- Experimental assessment of the relevant electromagnetic ply properties as a function of frequency and temperature;
- Development of a novel material model for the anisotropic electromagnetic properties on the ply and laminate level;
- Implementation of the material model in a (commercially available) numerical modelling code;
- Development of an experimental method to validate the simulation tool;
- Demonstration of the developed model and technology on a small scale welded structure.
- An MSc degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Materials Science or Applied Physics;
- Experience with (thermoplastic) composite materials is valued;
- A strong interest in multi-field research, e.g. mechanical engineering, physics, electrical engineering;
- Affinity with both experimental as well as numerical work;
- Experience with Finite Element modelling;
- The ability to work independently as well as in a team;
- The possession of good communication skills and fluency in both written and spoken English for close interaction with a multinational consortium of industrial partners;
- The ability of writing in scientific journals and giving presentations at scientific conferences.
Information & application
We provide excellent mentorship and a stimulating research environment with a fully equipped laboratory and support staff. We offer a competitive salary with excellent secondary conditions of employment, a flexible working environment and opportunities for further career development. You are offered a professional and personal development program within Graduate School Twente.
Interested? Then send your application letter and CV including references and, if applicable, a list of publications to firstname.lastname@example.org until January 15th, 2019.